120inna55 Forum Forum Index 120inna55 Forum
Welcome to 120inna55's Forum, a place for discussion about my blog or anything you choose. Enjoy your stay!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gypsy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
120inna55
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Gypsy Reply with quote

Yesterday, during my morning walk, a strange dog ran up to me and huddled-up against me. She acted like she was elated to see a human. She was polite, but not fearful. I did what any responsible pet owner should do, and that was to ignore her. See, if a dog belonging to someone else comes onto your property, you should be aggressive about trying to scare the dog away so they won't feel invited to stay. In the same token, if you're off your property, you should ignore curious dogs, so they won't be inclined to befriend you and follow you home. This is what I would want someone else to do should they encounter my dog under the same situation. It encourages the dog to stay on their own property and protect it as their own.

Well, my attempts at ignoring the dog didn't work. She ultimately followed me home. My wife and I didn't recognize her. A dead-end road in the country is not an unusual place for scumbags to dump their unwanted dogs, but for the 12 years we've lived here, we've never had this problem. She didn't appear to be a dumped dog, though. She had a collar. She was a little on the thin side, but not malnourished. I assumed her build was more related to her adolescent "gangliness". She wasn't afraid of people. She was well adjusted to the etiquette of meet and greet with our other dogs. She even had some relatively fresh sutures on her neck. Whoever this dog belonged to, must have cared enough for her to get her medical attention.

So we invited her into our home as refuge until we found her owner. We thought surely whoever lost her was missing her. Who wouldn't miss this sweet, well-mannered dog. We made fliers and posted them around locally. We knocked on doors. We called area veterinarians' offices. No one claimed her. None of the vets' offices knew her.

So, as a last ditch effort, my wife took her to our vet to see if she, by any chance, had an I.D. chip inserted. No chip. However, Dr. Terry noted that the suture job wasn't professional. It was crudely done with--get this---nylon thread. The idiot that did this had even burned the ends of the thread to keep it from unravelling. The 'sutures' were removed because the vet knew something was amiss. It turns out the wound was abscessed.

Some jerk sewed up this dog instead of taking it to a vet. I understand times are tough, but when you get to the point that you can't afford to care for your animals, you no longer have a right to them. You certainly don't crudely sew them up. I still don't know if she was dumped or just lost. Either way, her previous owner had better not speak up, now. She's mine. I've now paid for her proper medical care. After her wound heals, we'll get her shots done, then we'll have her spayed. She is now a part of our family, and Gypsy fits right in.

Thank you to Dr. Terry and the staff at Morton Small Animal Clinic for providing such wonderful care of our new family member. As usual, your compassion for both the animal and the owner confirms our choice as the only veterinarian's clinic to which we will entrust our pets' lives.

pinkpjs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw...she's pretty.
Scott Leonard
120inna55
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gypsy has settled in, and apparently considers this her home. She runs and plays with the other dogs, and she barks at "intruders" as if she's protecting her home. Her wound is healing nicely and she's slowly filling out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    120inna55 Forum Forum Index -> Chit Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: